- Using Quotations in Essays
- Don't Make it Look Like You Plagiarized!
- Don't Just Include Them! Blend Them in!
- Using Cute Quotations and Poetry Quotations
Do you use quotations in your essays? Surely you follow the expected standards. But, that may not be enough. Having followed all the standards and punctuation, you must ask the critical question: "Do readers understand the quotation and its relevance to my essay?"
If the reader is re-reading a quotation, just to understand it, then you are in trouble. So when you choose a quotation for your essay, ask yourself the following questions:
- Is this too convoluted for my reader?
- Does this match the tastes of my audience?
- Is the grammar and vocabulary in this quotation understandable?