Sex and the City
, the hit HBO comedy, is not just about sex. The serial reveals flaws in relationships and makes sarcastic jibes at the sacrosanct. While being funny, Sex and the City
quotes ridicule revered concepts such as marriage and monogamy.
- James: And how are the most beautiful women in Manhattan?
Miranda: If we see them I'll ask.
- Miranda: I'm telling you, married people are the enemy.
- Carrie: He was like the flesh and blood equivalent of a DKNY dress -- you know it's not your style, but it's right there, so you try it on anyway.
- Woman on street: They say the average 33-year-old woman has sex 3.5 times a week? -- I'd like to know who that woman is.
- (Carrie's been hiding out at home for a month...)
Miranda: Get your coat on, Anne Frank, we're goin' out.
- Samantha: Relationships have been on the decline ever since women came out of the cave, looked around and said, "this isn't so bad."
- Carrie: Modelizers are obsessed not with women but with models, who in most cities are safely confined to billboards and magazines, but in Manhattan actually run wild on the streets, turning the city into a virtual model country safari where men can pet the creatures in their natural habitat.
- Susan Sharon: It's 100% Italian cashmere and light as a feather.
Carrie: God, I love it! It's a cashmere-acle!
- Carrie: Philadelphia. Just a hop, skip, a cab, a metro liner and another cab away.
- Carrie: Maybe this is all happening because my building is going co-op. Is this a real estate merger? Am I a real estate bride?
Miranda: If there were unlimited apartments in Manhattan, we'd all be single forever.
- Carrie, to Big: You can't leave New York! You're the Chrysler Building! The Chrysler Building would be all wrong in a vineyard!
- Charlotte: I read it in a magazine.
Miranda: What magazine? Convenient Theories for You Monthly?
- Samantha: (critiquing "neck massagers" at the Sharper Image) That one actually works against you. If we wanted to work that hard, we'd get us a man, am I right?
- Harry: Charlotte, I have to marry a Jew.
Charlotte: She can marry a gay guy and you can't marry an Episcopalian?