On the larger canvas of life, How the Grinch Stole Christmas is a lesson for all. The Grinch symbolizes outcastes of society, derided for being different from the rest of the flock. We are forever judgmental; often letting prejudices decide for us. Anybody who belongs to a minority -- race, creed, or class -- gets the 'thumbed nose' treatment. If a person does not adhere to socially-accepted beliefs and norms, he is shoved into the gutter. If he is born with an abnormality, we label him a "freak." The Grinches of our society are products of our own disdain. If we want to put an end to evil, we must stop being judgmental.
Jim Carrey, the effervescent actor who breathes life into a mythical creature deserves a round of applause for his flawless performance. Carrey is a walking encyclopedia of facial expressions. If you have watched his other famous movie, Dumb and Dumber, you'd know what I am talking about. He is a delight to watch, and keeps you riveted with his brattish comebacks. His performance adds a whole new dimension to the story, making him an admirable villain. His nemesis arrives in the form of a cute little girl who taps into the 'inner goodness' of the rotten-hearted Grinch, and wins him out of his garbage-clogged life.
I have watched the movie many times over, memorized famous lines, and enjoyed Carrey's animated expressions. The movie always leaves me with something to ponder over. You can build a Christmas tradition around this movie. Kids can be taught early on in life about being nice. Adults can glean a moral lesson or two, along with free entertainment. As for me, I will simply soak myself with quirky humor in these How the Grinch Stole Christmas quotes.
- Oh, the Who-manity.
- How dare you enter the Grinch's lair!? The insolence! The audacity! The unmitigated gall!
- And they'll feast, feast, feast, feast. They'll eat their Who-Pudding and rare Who-Roast Beast. But there's something I just cannot stand in least... Oh no. I'm speaking in rhyme!
- We're gonna die! We're gonna die! I'm gonna throw up, and then I'm gonna die! Mommy tell it to stop!
- Give me that! Dont you know youre not suppose to take things that don’t belong to you? Whats the matter with you, you some kind of wild animal? Huh?
- Hate, hate, hate. Hate, hate, hate. Double Hate. Loathe entirely!
- Be it ever so heinous, theres no place like home.
- Cindy, we may be horribly mangled, but there'll be no sad faces on Christmas.
- I am the Grinch that stole Christmas... and I'm sorry. Aren't you going to cuff me? Beat me up? Blind me with pepper spray?
- Blast this Christmas music. It's joyful and triumphant.
- All right, you're a reindeer. Here's your motivation: Your name is Rudolph, you're a freak with a red nose, and no one likes you. Then, one day, Santa picks you and you save Christmas. No, forget that part. We'll improvise... just keep it kind of loosey-goosey. You hate Christmas! You're gonna steal it. Saving Christmas is a lousy ending, way too commercial. Action!
- The nerve of those Whos. Inviting me down there - on such short notice! Even if I wanted to go my schedule wouldn't allow it. 4:00, wallow in self pity; 4:30, stare into the abyss; 5:00, solve world hunger, tell no one; 5:30, jazzercize; 6:30, dinner with me - I can't cancel that again; 7:00, wrestle with my self-loathing... I'm booked. Of course, if I bump the loathing to 9, I could still be done in time to lay in bed, stare at the ceiling and slip slowly into madness. But what would I wear?
- The avarice never ends! "I want golf clubs. I want diamonds. I want a pony so I can ride it twice, get bored and sell it to make glue." Look, I don't wanna make waves, but this whole Christmas season is stupid, stupid, stupid!
- [when a taxicab passes him by]: It's because I'm green isn't it?
- Oh. Bleeding hearts of the world unite.
Lou Lou Who
- Let's see, we've got a munkle for your uncle, a fant for your aunt and a fandpa for your Cousin Leon.
Cindy Lou Who
- Don't forget the Grinch. I know he's mean and hairy and smelly. His hands might be cold and clammy, but I think he's actually kinda... sweet.