Mahatma Gandhi laid great emphasis on the importance of ahimsa
or non-violence He advocated the non-violent technique of satyagraha
to achieve ones goals. During the Indian struggle for independence, Gandhi taught his followers to follow ahimsa. Many of the famous quotes
by Gandhi that have been extracted from his writings and speeches reveal his belief that violence could never be the way to achieve any objective. In this selection, the famous quotes by Gandhi deal specifically with the concept of ahimsa which he upheld throughout his life.
- Non-cooperation with evil is as much a duty as is cooperation with good.
- The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- I abhor vivisection with my whole soul. All the scientific discoveries stained with innocent blood I count as of no consequence.
- Experience teaches that animal food is unsuited to those who would curb their passions. But it is wrong to over-estimate the importance of food in the formation of character or in subjugating the flesh.
- I hold today the same opinion as I held then. To my mind, the life of a lamb is no less precious than that of a human being.
- I hold flesh-food to be unsuited to our species. We err in copying the lower animal world if we are superior to it.
- I do feel that spiritual progress does demand at some stage that we should cease to kill our fellow creatures for the satisfaction of our bodily wants.