Miss Maudie Atkinson
- Things are never as bad as they seem
- Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't eat up people's gardens, don't nest in corncribs, they don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.
- The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience.
- It's when you know you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what.
- When a child asks you something, answer him, for goodness' sake. But don't make a production of it. Children are children, but they can spot an evasion quicker than adults, and evasion simply muddles them.
- Bad language is a stage all children go through, and it dies with time when they learn they're not attracting attention with it.
- Best way to clear the air is to have it all out in the open.
If there's just one kind of folks, why can't they get along with each other? If they're all alike, why do they go out of their way to despise each other?
I'm going to be a new kind of clown. I'm going to stand in the middle of the ring and laugh at the folks.
There's just one kind of folks. Folks.
Persecution comes from people who are prejudiced.
Let the dead bury the dead.
Folks don’t like to have somebody around knowing more than they do. It aggravates them. You’re not going to change any of them by talking right, they’ve got to want to learn themselves, and when they don’t want to learn there’s nothing you can do but keep your mouth shut or talk their language.